I wrote a blog post before about how my group and I were doing a project to implement a recycling project on our campus. In a previous post, I talked about our trial, temporary cardboard recycling bins.
Now, those went okay. I’m not going to over exaggerate the outcome and say it was super duper fabulous because I have to say it wasn’t the best.
We used our signs and put what could not be on the signs. However, we thought that people might have read the sign as if it was okay to put those things in there. So, we ended up getting a lot of food and chip bags, which aren’t able to be recycled. So, when it came time to put all of our “earnings” into the huge recycling bin, we found many chip bags and other food bags with plastic on the outside and foil on the inside.
Another problem was people throwing all their trash and leftovers from their lunch into a brown paper bag and throwing the whole thing in the bin without separating it out. So, when we had to separate the recyclables from non-recyclables, we would have to pick out all of the food pieces in order to get only 5% non-recyclables.
So, for this time with the permanent bins, we made sure to change the sign. We also put them in new and improved positions that would likely get more people to put more recyclables in. For this sign, we put what could be put in and so far, we have gotten much better results and another thing contributing could be that since the permanent bins have a hole in the lid, only certain things will fit into the hole without opening the lid.
Overall our permanent bins look much more professional and the signs are definitely more visible on the lid of the bins which will has been getting us better results than the last time. Our temporary bins were very flimsy and often blew around if there wasn’t enough material in the bin to weigh it down. But, with our permanent bins, we also added a brick to the bottom of the bin to ensure that the bins wouldn’t move unless someone picked them up.
This project has definitely taken up a lot of time, however, it has been so worthwhile to see something you do be implemented and finished and to see people using the bins. It feel so good to help out the environment and learn new things along the way.
We also presented our project and ideas for the future at our schools Innovation Symposium and that was a great success in which we were able to talk to many people about what we were doing and it was awesome to see their eyes light up at the idea of having a new recycling program to be implemented. Hope this inspires you to go out there and try something new and not be scared to fail because you never know what could happen.
These are links to pages, posts, and presentations we created during the course of our time of this project over the last 8 months. Enjoy!
Presentation About the Beginnings of our Project: This presentation is one that we did in front of our class before we put out our temporary cardboard bins talking about how we were going to plan to execute our idea and the steps we needed to take to get there.
Presentation that we Presented at the Innovation Symposium: This presentation is one that we did at the Innovation Symposium and presented on different computers in front of us while we talked with people behind the table.